Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    stingerms

BIOLOGY: Sort each process into the appropriate bin according to what it contributes...

...to.? Sort each process into the appropriate bin according to whether it contributes to heredity only, genetic variation only, or both.

This is homework, but I'm not doing this to cheat. I'm honestly clueless and I really need your opinion. I would prefer the reasons for the answers instead of just the answers, because I need to learn this as it is my major. Thank you for all of your help!

Here is the full question:

Meiosis guarantees that in a sexual life cycle, offspring will inherit one complete set of chromosomes (and their associated genes and traits) from each parent. The transmission of traits from parents to offspring is called heredity.

Another important aspect of meiosis and the sexual life cycle is the role these processes play in contributing to genetic variation. Although offspring always resemble their parents, they are genetically different from both of their parents and from one another. The degree of variation may be tremendous.

The following processes are associated with meiosis and the sexual life cycle:

* DNA replication before meiosis
    * crossing over
    * chromosome alignment in metaphase I and separation in anaphase I
    * chromosome alignment in metaphase II and separation in anaphase II
    * fertilization

Unregistered
    It there on some website

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information