** DON'T ANSWER IF UR NOT GOING TO HELP **
... THERE'S NO POINT OF LEAVING A COMMENT
IF UR GOING TO WRITE SOMETHING MEAN/RUDE/WITTY.
10 PTS BEST ANSWER
1. Which best describes the reasons people chose to settle in the West in the late 1800s?
an interest in the fauna and flora of the West
a desire to reduce the Native American population
a severe economic depression in the East
the desire to start a new life and seek fortunes
2. Knowing that __________ companies would encourage settlement of the West, the U.S. government awarded them huge amounts of land and money.
3. The U.S. government played __________ role in the building of the transcontinental railroad.
a very little
somewhat of a
4. The general pattern of western mining began with the discovery of gold or silver, which led directly to mining companies buying large claims and employing large numbers of miners.
5. Which best explains why the era of open-range cattle ranching had ended in the West by the 1890s?
cow diseases; decreasing popularity of beef in the East
the admittance of Oklahoma as a state; severe droughts
overgrazing; blizzards; barbed wire
the establishment of large farming corporations; barbed wire
6. What western industry got its start in the Northwest, providing much-needed material for a growing nation?
7. The Forest Reserve Act was one way in which America responded to
the needs of the rapidly growing railroad industry in the West.
the effects of changing weather patterns on forests in the Northwest.
the effects of new industries and increased population on the environment.
government corruption in the timber and mining industries.
8. Which is most responsible for the rapid settlement of the Great Plains?
the completion of the transcontinental railroad
the Homestead Act of 1862
the relocation of Native American peoples to reservations
the Forest Reserve Act
9. Which best describes what life was like for farmers on the Plains?
very hard work; long days; crop failures; severe weather; possibility of losing farm
crop failures; eight-hour work days; moderately hard work; very few unexpected setbacks
many unexpected problems; fairly easy work; mostly successful harvests
bountiful harvests; pleasant weather year-round; very few setbacks; short work days
10. Most of the families that settled on the Plains started farms in
Colorado, New Mexico Territory, and Kansas.
Indian Territory, Wyoming, and Nebraska.
Montana, Idaho, and Utah Territory.
Nebraska, Kansas, and South Dakota.
11. Which best describes relations between Native Americans and the U.S. government between 1850 and 1880?
There was little conflictmost American Indians were content to live protected on reservations in the West.
There was some conflict, as a few Indian peoples resisted forced relocation to reservations and fought with U.S. troops.
There was conflictmost Native Americans refused to give up their way of life and successfully resisted being forced onto reservations.
There was continual violent conflict as the U.S. government forced American Indians onto reservations.
12. A change in policy toward American Indian nations occurred around 1880 when
the government decided to exterminate the remaining Native Americans in the West.
the government tried to assimilate Indians through education and the Dawes Act.
the U.S. Army began to routinely round up Native Americans and execute them.
the Congress passed legislation forcing Native Americans to adopt mainstream white culture.
13. Novels and movies of the 1940s and 1950s accurately portrayed the realities of the old American West.